The power went out yesterday. And one of my students threw a huge temper tantrum right at the end of school, I wouldn't let him leave until he'd done what I asked. Which was answer a Science question. Not all that big of a deal right? Except that for him, it was. He claims he is the only one in the class who doesn't know anything. I laughed, secretly, not out loud. Because the worst thing to do to a dramatic someone such as he is, is laugh at them. He's got such a "poor me" complex. Although, I've also got others who'll pull that act, he's just the most consistent with it. I told him that he needs to pay attention while we're reading, and since he couldn't remember anything (his words not mine) about what we'd read, I guess we'd have to go over and read it again. Not in class. So we sat down and read, he read one sentence, I the next, then him again, on and one. Throughout the course of the reading he answered over seven questions. When I pointed that out to him the look on his face was a "oh shoot, I'm wrong" look.
Then today, we read after school again. But he didn't want to admit to any of the other kids, that he needs extra help. Why do we do that? Not want to really show that we need support and love.
Because in doing so we cheat ourselves. We cheat ourselves of really understanding people, and finding that others are so very much like us. We're so caught up in trying to be perfect that we fail to realize perfection is a journey rather than a destination. It's interesting, to be able to watch these kids and see human tendencies and faults and weaknesses already have taken root in such precious souls.

No comments:
Post a Comment