Saturday, May 16, 2009

Traveling

Why are goodbyes so hard? It's not like we won't see or talk to the person again soon. It's those moments where you just stand there, neither one actually wanting to be the first to say it, but knowing someone must.
The last hug you don't really want to be the last.
The last "I love you" in person for a while.
The end of a time together.
I've found that in leaving my family, through this past school year- heading back up here to teaching again, I go through phases. Depending on the trip and how long I've been down for it usually goes along these lines-
A few days, or possibly only the day before: I start feeling like "ok, time for me to need to get back to my kids again"
The night before I'm leaving: doesn't really even sink in that in 24 hours, I'll be two states away.
The day or morning of departure: mad scramble to get everything packed and away in the vehicle, knowing, that I'm leaving probably half of the stuff I brought down but that's ok because 1- I did manage to grab the other half of the stuff I left from the trip before and 2- I'll be down in a little while again anyway. Hugs and kisses and run out the door. Shut off emotion and think "I'm only going on a drive"
About two and half hours into the trip: "I really am leaving them... and missing them already" Shut off emotion again.
Hit Idaho Falls: Ok, halfway done.
45 minutes past Idaho Falls: I'm heading home!
Hit the top of the pass: Almost home! It's so beautiful!
Get into Hamilton: Hey look! It's so familiar and great to see again.
Pull into the driveway: I'm home to my other home. Where did those past nine hours go? It was a lifetime ago I was in Utah.
And then continue on with life up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment