Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Late nights & baking

Twas the night before Thanksgiving and all through the houses.... Frantic preparations were still being completed.
Ok. So it doesn't exactly rhyme. At all.
But you cannot tell me I am The ONLY one who is still awake, with eyelids propped open, waiting for this last something or another (in my case, dinner rolls) to finish cooking/baking/being ready. Because of course you can't just wait til tomorrow to do it because the turkey will be occupying the oven & other 'last minute' foods that really do have to be last minute, will be hogging all the counter space & dishes.
So here I am sitting at the computer in an attempt to stay awake long enough to finish tonight.
Meanwhile my darling hubby heads off to bed to catch some shut-eye, (he hasn't been feeling well today so I can't blame him,) and I get the couch with the alarm set for when I need to yet again punch down the dough & wait another hour for it to rise so I can punch it back down again :P
All for the name of a feast of food.
Oh for the love of Americans & their obsession with stuffing themselves.
On the more serious note,
This coming day IS in remembrance of a time when our forebearers didn't have enough food.
I guess.... if you care to put it into prespective like that, waiting til 2 in the morning to go to sleep because you're preparing to celebrate the blessings of food, home & family, is a little more tolerable.
Right?

1 comment: